Healthy hair is the dream of every single sensible individual on Earth. It maybe a 15 year old boy or a 65 year old person; we all want it. A young boy wants his hair to be in good amount so that he can try a new hair-cut; people in 30s want good hair because they do not want to look ‘old’. While being a belligerent party to the war with hair loss or if you wish to grow your hair faster you need to track the root cause of the delay in hair growth or cause for the hair loss. Tracking the problem would lead to a good and a well-directed start towards better hair. Tracking the real cause of your hair problems is a complicated process which requires intense observation and needs you, to keep track on reactions from your hair when you do something new such as: new hairstyle, new daily routine or a new diet routine. Keeping a track on these things will make you assess the real cause of the problem, although you should consult a doctor with this data for a better assessment and treatment. Down below are some basic causes and their remedies which can help you with the ‘problem over your head’:-
Unbalanced diet leads to disturbance in the equilibrium of the body chemicals. Various chemicals present in the body are responsible for growth of various parts of the body. Various glands secrete different types of hormones which are formed as a result of chemical reactions within the body. This sometimes causes heavy hair loss gradually tends to make the entire (or at least the most front portion) of the scalp bald.
In males, on the upper part of the scalp becomes bald and the back side of the head has strong hair and therefore hair loss in that area is very rare and quite unlikely.
Remedies to this self-created problem are generally natural but you can use supplements too if you are poor enough, and not being able to manage the time to eat well and healthy. It is strongly recommended that you go for the natural remedies before trying any medical supplement. One thing that you should keep in mind is that supplements might have some side effects which may be harmful to your body.
Here are some natural yet quick ways-
- 1. Eat balanced and Protein Rich diet
Hair is composed of keratin, it is a protein made up of amino acids. Your body must produce more amino acids in order to grow hair.
Healthy protein sources include lean meat, fish, eggs, nuts and beans. Ensuring you have enough protein in your daily diet is an essential step for new hair growth.
- 2. Fat is essential
Fat is also very important for the body because it helps to provide vitamins that are necessary for hair, such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K
Make sure that limit your fat into up to a healthy level and focus on unsaturated fats and fatty acids.
This again, leads to hindrance in chemical equilibrium of body. Health issues can cause more sufferings than just hair loss while hair loss maybe only a symptom of a health condition breeding inside the body. Several of many health conditions which can possibly lead to hair loss are being mentioned below-
- 1. Scalp Infection
There are various types of scalp infection and most common amongst them is Dandruff. Dandruff is a very common problem amongst people who has to go through dirt and other types of pollution. Other forms of scalp infections are viz. Ringworm, Tinea capitis etc. these kinds of infections cause serious problems and trouble for your hair to grow in natural manner.
Anti-fungal medicines such as Terbinafine and Griseofulvin etc. are useful for treating scalp infections. There are preventive measures too, such as –
- You should throw out or disinfect objects that may be contaminated with fungal spores – for example, hats, combs, pillows, etc. This aims to prevent re-infection and to prevent passing on the infection to others.
- You should not share towels.
- In order to ensure that the infection is not transmitted to others, you should carefully follow the recommended treatment.
- If a pet is suspected of being the source of the fungal infection, he should be subjected to treatment asap.
- 2. Other reasons
- Hormonal changes, such as menopause, a change in birth control, pregnancy, thyroid problems, or elevated levels of testosterone, can cause hair thinning, loss, or slow hair growth.
- Growth naturally slows with age, so if hair loss is caused solely by hormonal changes related to age, then maximizing hair growth through diet and nutrition is the best treatment
- 1. Stress
Stress leads to hair loss and effects the hair growth very badly. This is one of the biggest and most disguised cause for the problem over your own head. It can be said that problem over your head is being backed by problems inside your own head. Relaxing with yoga or some other stress busting activity is the only remedy to this type of problem.
- 2. Enough sleep
Not having enough sleep not only deteriorates your body and health but it also causes fatigue which leads to stress and hence it causes hair loss or/and uneven growth of hair.
- 3. Styling
Styling is a big and somewhat un-avoidable reason which causes hair problems. Styling includes: use of harmful chemicals which may not show short term damage but they can be disastrous in long term. Some styles need your hair to be tied tightly which is a very dangerous situation for your hair because it may result in weakening of roots and it can also cause your hair to break from middle. Below you can see some of the common causes which we are bound to go through while styling-
- A. Avoid perming, crimping, chemically straightening, curling or repeatedly coloring hair. These treatments can weaken hair strands and hair follicles, leading to increase in hair loss. Hot styling tools can cause damage very quickly, so air dry or manually style hair whenever possible.
- B. Excessive combing is bad
In order to look pretty all the time you could be combing your hair or you could be using your hand to set your hair in the right place but as a matter of fact you are causing them harm. When you comb your hair frequently it pulls them and leads to weakening which ultimately causes hair loss. You should not comb your hair more than thrice a day.
- C. Choosing hair product
Choosing a correct hair product is vital. You should consult a doctor or a hair expert before you choose conditioner, hair oil or other hair products because they know what kind of product is good for what kind of hair. This can minimize the hair loss up to a great extent and will make your hair grow better and healthier.
In most cases, medications are not necessary for improving hair growth (and may even have adverse or unnoticeable effects). Many people can achieve faster, healthier hair growth by above mentioned patterns and routines, that is, regulating their diet, behavior, and stress levels. If your hair loss or slow hair growth has a medical cause or if natural methods have not given desired results without any considerable progress, however, you may want to try and experiment with hair growth medication or supplements. It is important to consult a physician or health professional before you start any of the following methods and/or medications mentioned below. Here are some of the popular ones-
- 1. Rogaine
Minoxidil is one the most popular hair growth medication. Rogaine is an over counter Nonprescription treatment for the hair loss. It has been found effective for both men and women.
- 2. Corticosteroid injections or Finasteride and other prescription treatments
In case your case is related to Alopecia then Finasteride can be a handy treatment for you. It has been found very effective in Alopecia cases on both the sexes.
Corticosteroid injections are effective to stimulate your hair growth and can be obtained through a physician. It basically contains hormones which help in increasing the growth of hair and minimize the hair loss.
SOME HANDY TIPS
- Drink enough water, as it is very important for good hair
- Protect your hair from extreme conditions as well as from excessive rain and heat. Too much and too less exposure to sun, both the conditions are harmful for hair growth and health.
- Know your hair type and treat them accordingly.
- Dyeing your hair frequently is not a good idea at all.
- Regular trimming is good for hair growth.
- Wear a wig if you are going out and undergoing a treatment, this helps the conditions of your hair to preserve
Myths about Healthy Hair
Beer is good for hair: TRUE
Balding is linked to old age: TRUE
There is no cure of baldness: FALSE
Hats can cause Baldness: FALSE
These are some of the factors which will help you tackle the ‘problem over your head’.